- MSc Agroecology, Wageningen University /NMBU Norway, 2016
- BA Geography, Environment and Development Studies, University of Sussex, 2005
Role and responsibilities:
- My main research focus is on crop diversity – in particular looking at the role of intercropping and diversifying the rotation with new and novel crops.
- I am passionate about the role of farmer to farmer learning and farmer led research.
- I work with a group of farmers exploring the role of intercropping in arable systems in an Innovative Farmers Field Lab – supporting on farm trials and exchange of experiences between farmers.
- I coordinated a case study within the DiverIMPACTs project – exploring how alternative food networks are supporting crop diversification and with Hodmedods – company supporting British pulses and grains.
I am passionate about how we can support the interactions between plants, soils, insects and animals to create more resilient and productive farming systems.
- Participatory research, knowledge exchange and farmer led innovation
- Crop diversity – including intercropping, relay cropping and agroforestry
- Low input cropping systems and integrated farming
- Alternative grain and legume crops
- Integrated Pest Management and biological control
Interests outside of ORC:
I love adventuring outside, especially by on or in the sea – kayaking, cycling, coast path walking and sea swimming. I am involved with my local food coop and enjoy working on the farm when I can. I also enjoy spending time in my small art studio working with mixed media including painting, printmaking and drawing, much of my work focuses on nature and organic forms.
- Bliss, K., 2016. ‘Pioneer Farmers’: joint exploration of crop diversity and agroecosystem function in Walsala, Nicaragua (Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Ås).
- Bliss, K., 2017. Cultivating biodiversity: a farmers view of the role of diversity in agroecosystems. Biodiversity, 18(2-3), pp.102-107.
- Bliss, Katie; Padel, Susanne; Cullen, Beth; Ducottet, Charline; Mullender, Samantha; Rasmussen, Ilse A. and Moeskops, Bram (2018) Exchanging knowledge to improve organic arable farming: An evaluation of knowledge exchange tools with farmer groups across Europe. Organic Agriculture, online,
- Karley A, Banfield-Zadin J, Bickler C, Bliss K, Brooker R, Iannetta P, Midmer A, Mitchell C, Newton A, Pakeman R, Pearce B, Tippin L, George D (2019) Knowledge Exchange in ‘Plant Team’ Cropping with On-Farm Participatory Research. In First European Conference on Crop Diversification. September 18-21, 2019 Budapest. Book of abstracts. 56-57.
- Bliss K, Bickler C, Villa A, Tippin L, Vieweger A, Meldrum J, Padel S, Pearce B, Lea M (2019) Getting out of the commodity trap: Enabling diversity through alternative food networks. In First European Conference on Crop Diversification. September 18-21, 2019 Budapest. Book of abstracts. 310-311.