Bulletin 109 published
Posted on 18th July 2012
In the Summer 2012 ORC Bulletin:
- Polly McAdam and Jo Smith look at how agro-forestry approaches might help reduce the need for copper use in apple orchards, an approach being examined in the CO-FREE project.
- Louisa Winkler reports on the new Organic Seeds for Organic Growers network and their recent workshop on Open-pollinated seeds. Further info: www.open-pollinated-seeds.org.uk.
- Rebecca Nelder and Lawrence Woodward review a new Soil Association report looking at the links between E. coli outbreaks and antibiotic use in agriculture.
- Thomas Doering and Helen Pearce report on the results of baking quality tests as part of the Wheatbreeding LINK project.
- Susanne Padel, Juern Sanders and Matthias Stolze summarise the results of a recent study of organic farming policies in Europe, now published by the European Commission.
- Bruce Pearce reports on the achievements of the Transatlantic Project supporting student educational links between the US, Germany and the UK.
- Nic Lampkin looks at recent studies reviewing the evidence on organic yields in the context of current discussions on sustainable intensification and food security.
- The retirement of Christopher Bielenberg as Chair of ORC’s Council of Management, and the new incumbent Mike Turnbull are also featured.
To get printed copies of the Bulletin when they are published, you can take out an annual subscription. Previous issues including Bulletin 108 (Spring 2012) hyperlink to specific issue are available on-line.